Denelian

Be mischievous -- it feels good

10.03.2007

Dichotomy Dilemma (part one)

My grandma always said, “everything in moderation” and I always found myself nodding in agreement. In fact, I’ve often thought that life was about finding the balance, and living in that balance. It’s only lately that I’ve come to understand that I can’t live in the land of balance and moderation where I am allegedly supposed to have peace and where things are perfectly aligned to my pleasing. On the contrary! I’ve realized that instead of being “at peace” it is actually more comforting to live in an eternal and sometimes agonizing tension (read a little Rob Bell to hear more about the “tension” of life).

About a year ago, my pastor spoke in front of the church about drinking, cigar smoking, and God forbid, the celebration of Halloween! The message was clear. Everything that we do, we must do (no, not in moderation) according to what we personally feel convicted about. Not only that, but we must understand that our obligation is to others and that we must walk in freedom, but with full understanding that we must love others first. Love should always be the filter for what I do and don’t do. IT'S SO SIMPLE! It’s the solution to my wondering “is this ok?” “should I do this?” No more wondering, simply ask God to walk with me as I walk in loving freedom and I will know where to walk!

However… it’s not exactly that simple. It’s been a challenge living that out in “Christian circles” where we cling to modernist paradigms which say we must always see things in black and white. Truth and non truth. Yes and no. Do and don’t. Wrong and right.

Of course I don’t ever see myself living a life where everything is relative, (thank God for the truth of His love for me) but I am considering the benefits that the relativist mindset can bring to living a radical Christian life.

Is this blasphemy? I don’t think so, but maybe tomorrow… I will.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lois E. Lane said...

Relativism and Christianity seem to be at odds so often ... or at least isn't that what we tell "outsiders" when we share our faith? Life --even the Christian life-- is a puzzle. Of this I am convinced. The more I know, the more I don't know. I was hoping you would be my human cheat-sheet :)

4:28 PM  
Blogger sam said...

funny... the title for the sample chapter for the book is:

Chasing pleasure, you found abuse, what if you found moderation.

or something like it... all chapters are long titled, with a beginning with -chasing after, then finding temporal, then a hopefully godly solution... thanks for the comment, that is a good suggestion. have a great day.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Lois E. Lane said...

You should write more, my friend!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

You are very clever. I liked how you ended that. You are witty. I also like your approach to a very important question to me in my life which resounded when you talked about living in relativism. That really touched a cord with me. Of course everything is touching a cord with me right now, beat down on the debate tournament.

Miss ya!

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home